Claude News

130 Trice Street, Claude

Lat 35.109614
Lon -101.359724

Marker Text:
Claude News
Established as the “Argus,” Jan. 1, 1890, in the new railroad town of Claude. Later it merged with “Goodnight News” to become “Claude News.” First publisher, W. S. Decker, sold paper to B. F. Hines, who sold to J. H. Hamner, in 1892. His daughter Laura V., later a foremost historian of the early great ranches of Texas Panhandle, edited the paper in this period. About 1913 Hamner sold to Spurgeon and Marvin Bishop. On Jan. 1, 1916, Thos. T. Waggoner, founder of 4 Oklahoma weeklies, bought the “News.” After his death, his sons Wm. J. B. and Cecil acquired ownership, in 1950. (1969)